Dick Gibson is a native of Charlottesville, Virginia. He stayed in Charlottesville to earn his B.A. at the University of Virginia in 1969 and his J.D. in 1972.
- JABA (Jefferson Area Board for Aging) (Board Chair 2002 – present)
- Westminster Presbyterian Church (Stated Clerk of Session – former)
- ARC of the Piedmont (formerly Charlottesville – Albemarle Association for Retarded Citizens) (Board Member and Treasurer – former)
- University of Virginia (B.A. Psychology 1969)
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D. 1972)
- U. S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U. S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- Virginia State Bar
- Charlottesville – Albemarle Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (Board of Governors – former) (Regional Vice President – former)
Grand parenting, golf, travel, salt – water fly fishing, cycling and photography.